Salsa Del Rio is a youth-involved business located at Looking Glass Riverfront School in Eugene, Oregon. Riverfront School is an accredited alternative school, offering education and vocational training for at-risk and out-of-school youth, ages 11-21. Riverfront’s mission is to “guide and support youth in developing the knowledge, responsibility, and the social skills necessary for productive citizenship.” All proceeds help to fund the school’s Small Business and Entrepreneurship Program.
Salsa del Rio was created by Anita Sullivan while working as the Culinary Arts teacher at the Looking Glass Riverfront School. Anita’s family has been residents of New Mexico for centuries. It is from these roots that Salsa Del Rio was born. Anita continues to be involved in the student-run business, inspiring students and creating new delicious products.
Salsa del Rio is made and packaged by the students of the Small Business Program at Riverfront School. The business program is funded by a grant from the Oregon Youth Development Council, local school districts, and through sales of Salsa del Rio products.
Services provided by Riverfront School & Career Center include:
- Academic instruction toward a high school diploma or GED
- Comprehensive career and basic skills assessment
- Basic skills instruction (reading, writing and math)
- Basic computer skills instruction
- Work Readiness skills training and job search assistance and placement
- Vocational training and academic credit through the Lane-Metro Youth Corps, Culinary Arts Training, Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Job Training and Health Occupations Training Programs
- Assistance with transportation, job search, clothing, and GED testing fees
- Independent Living Skills Program for youth in foster care